As we look to celebrate International Observe the Moon Night this fall, NASA CT Space Grant Consortium (CTSGC) is sponsoring our 3rd annual Lunar Library Contest. This is an opportunity for CTSGC to highlight the amazingly creative librarians in our state who want to generate some excitement in their library about the moon and earn NASA items and prizes in the process!
What is International Observe the Moon Night?
International Observe the Moon Night is an annual event for Moon enthusiasts and curious people worldwide. It’s an opportunity to learn about lunar science and exploration, take part in celestial observations, and honor cultural and personal connections to the Moon. This is a great opportunity to promote learning of nature, science and culture for K-12 education and in the local community through moon and space-themed displays and programs.
How can my library become a Lunar Library?
- Step One is to register your library using this link for our contest. The first 10 applicants will also receive some NASA-branded items for their library. That’s some fun things you can share with your patrons or use for your library programs.
- Step Two is to create a display in your library to celebrate International Observe the Moon Night – use moon-themed books, artwork and other creative elements to create an eye-catching display for your patrons. This is a great opportunity to pool the creative resources of your library team to create something fun.
- Want to do more? Host some lunar activities or programs for patrons of all ages. – create moon paintings, read moon-themed books, host a moon-themed movie night, set up telescopes and moongaze – the possibilities are endless! NASA’s website has plenty of ideas to get you started.
- Your Final Step is to share photos of your programs and display on or before October 14, 2023 to your own social media accounts (be sure to tag @CTSpaceGrant!) and you will have a chance to earn prizes!
What are the rules for entry?
- First, you must pre-register your library on or before October 7, 2023 using this link to be eligible.
- Next, your moon-themed library display photo must be shared from your library’s social media (Instagram, Facebook and/or Twitter) on or before October 14, 2023. (Winners will be announced by Oct. 28)
- Lastly, posted photos must tag us (@CTSpaceGrant), and must also use the hashtags #CTObserveTheMoon and #CTSpaceGrant to be considered.
Prizes for Observe the Moon Night Library Display Contest will be up to $300 for the first-place display, and up to $100 each for two runners-up!
We hope you join us in this global celebration and look forward to seeing your moon-themed displays!
September 14, 2024
October 4, 2025